If a manufacturer of a product or a supplier of a service believes that their product has a benefit for people with asthma and allergies, they may apply to the National Asthma Council Australia to participate in the Sensitive Choice® program.
Prospective applicants should contact the National Asthma Council to discuss the Sensitive Choice® program and the availability of sponsorship for the category of product or service they manufacture or supply. Products that will not be considered include pharmaceutical products, food products and any products that claim a cure for asthma.
Through a formal application process, applicants must:
- Complete the application form and supply as much credible evidence as possible to substantiate the asthma/allergy benefit or claim.
- Provide samples of each product (where requested).
- Provide a full list of ingredients for all products containing chemicals.
- Demonstrate full compliance with all relevant Australian or New Zealand laws, regulations and applicable standards.
In addition, prospective applicants should note:
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate that their product or service is not harmful and that there is research or evidence to demonstrate a potential benefit for people with asthma and/or allergies.
- Each product or service is assessed and considered by an independent (and voluntary) Product Advisory Panel.
- The Sensitive Choice® program is not a standards-based certification program. It is a marketing/certification program whereby products that have been approved by the Product Advisory Panel may be eligible to join the program subject to completion of a licensing agreement and payment of an annual licence fee (on a partner basis, this fee is not less than $6,000 in Australia, $4,000 in New Zealand, and negotiated for other countries on a case by case basis).
- Some categories are exclusive (or have limits) – this may prevent the admission of products into the program that would otherwise be acceptable.
- Participation in the Sensitive Choice® program does not represent that the product or service is the best or better than others in a category, simply that the product is acceptable and not harmful based on the evidence available.
To learn more about the program or to discuss whether your product/service may be suitable, please contact:
The Sensitive Choice Program Manager
Tel: +61 03 9929 4333
Or complete our enquiry form